Ketosis simply means burning fat. When your body burns fat it helps correct metabolic health and weight issues. If you are not healthy or cannot seem to lose weight, Make a change in your way of eating.
At a minimum, Dr. Atkins should be known as the “King of Ketosis”. It’s been awhile since I worked with Dr. Atkins and embarked on my own high fat, low carb journey. Back then, although we cited Keckwick and Pawan and a few others, we had NO “current” research. We barely even understood what happened biochemically in the body but we did know that our patients reaped the benefits much before the sea of results with today’s “current” research and monumental low carb following.
We understood the power of ketosis (controlling carbohydrates) and the health benefits of fat. Because eating real food and avoiding the push for commercially prepared low-fat products tainted with trans fat and high fructose corn syrup was and is healthier. We witnessed health and weight improvements. We did not need to wait for research when right in front of our eyes was this nutritional blessing of ketosis that helped improve quality of life and we would not bury our heads in the sand of denial no matter who said otherwise. It is hard to imagine what would have happened if Dr. Atkins retaliated in fear or lost his endurance to the wolves that hunted him. There were so many attacks.
I was a registered dietitian (RD), a vegetarian at the time eating low-fat foods, but Dr. Atkins hired me anyway. He was extremely bright. I think he knew what he was doing when he hired “the enemy”. He used to call registered dietitians “airheads” because he was so frustrated at the medical establishment trying to denounce what he was doing and label him a “quack”. When I reminded him I was a RD, he smiled ( a charismatic smile ) and said “not all of them”.
I, on the other hand, had no idea what I was about to experience and even explain how this job would become my life. However there were four main reasons I switched from being a vegetarian to an Atkins for lifer!
- As a vegetarian, it was difficult to make creative eating suggestions for my flesh-eating clients.
- I was about ten pounds overweight and I wanted to experience the excitement my clients felt and, of course, the fast weight loss results.
- I saw patients clinical labs and they all improved: cholesterol, blood sugar, blood pressure and all the rest, including the clients reported benefits:
- improved energy
- stable moods
- mental focus
- less gas/ bloating
- better sleep
- less acne flare ups and episodes
- less appetite
oh, there were so many…
- As I dug through the published data and paced the shopping aisles of the grocery store. I realized this “Atkins” diet was healthier than anything I had recommended during my whole nutrition career. I realized I was brain washed by the establishment. Fast forward, while I completed the nutritional analysis of the menus in my book, “The Stubborn Fat Fix” (http://www.amazon.com/The-Stubborn-Fat-Fix-Metabolic/dp/159486828X), the less carbs the more nutrient dens the meal. As carbs were placed back into meals, not too many of course, it diluted what I call the “nutrient bang for the calorie buck”.
We did not have sexy marketing lingo like “nutritional” ketosis. Although it is a great descriptor as being in ketosis equates to eating nutrient dense meals. Today we may just take for granted what seems to be the obvious.
Cristi Vlad does a great job at explaining ketosis, http://cristivlad.com/ketosis-special-metabolic-state/. He describes his own weight and fat loss but the advantage of lowering carbs goes beyond what you see on the outside.
The true magic of ketosis is buried deep within at the hormonal level and hormones influence our lives (men, women and children) much more than we know.
If you want to read up on the research, Ellen Davis has a no holds barred website, http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/ketogenic-diet-benefits.html on almost everything you may want to know about a low carbohydrate ketogenic diet and how it contributes to slowing the aging process and healing:
- any blood sugar disorder, including diabetes, hypoglycemia, insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome
- heart disease
- parkinson’s disease
- multiple sclerosis
- Alzheimer’s disease
- fatty liver
- stomach issues like reflux, ulcers, gas bloating
and the list goes on.
Don’t be afraid of ketosis or living low carb. Jimmy Moore, http://www.livinlavidalowcarb.com/, has been living low carb, writing books, doing podcasts, hosting cruises and even has a list of practitioners who can help you, http://lowcarbdoctors.blogspot.com/. Burning fat to supply body energy (ketosis) is not only an optimal way of eating, it is prudent for quality of life and longevity.