I am sure you have all heard the reasons as to why you should not eat fat. So I have gathered information and am providing reasons why you should eat fat, and saturated fat at that.
For those who manage eating between 5-20% of calories from healthy veggie, cheese, fruit (avocado)…carbs, eating fat will help catapult anti-aging (via the limitation of advanced gylcated end-products), lower heart disease risk, annihilate diabetes and its complications as well as balance any blood sugar or hormone issue and burn fat faster. If you elect to eat a lot of carbs for example 60-80% calories as carbs, you should minimize fat and may want to reconsider.
Fat nourishes the body and optimizes many body functions. The benefits of eating healthy natural fats from meat, nuts/seeds, butter, olives etc… include assisting cells, organs, hormones and body systems.
Here’s a quick list of 14 health reasons to eat fat:
- The Brain– Fats compose 60% of the brain and are essential to brain function, including learning abilities, memory retention and moods. Fats are especially important for pregnant women, since they are integral to fetal brain development.
- Cells– Fatty acids help your cells stay flexible and are responsible for building cell membranes.
- The Heart– 60% of your heart’s energy comes from burning fats. Specific fats are also used to help keep the heart beating in a regular rhythm.
- Nerves– Fats compose the material that insulates and protects the nerves, isolating electrical impulses and helping to send communication signals.
- Lungs– Lung surfactant, which requires a high concentration of saturated fats, enables the lungs to work and keeps them from collapsing.
- The Eyes– Fat soluble vitamins are essential to eye function.
- Digestion– Fats in a meal slow down the digestion process so the body has more time to absorb nutrients.
- Organs– Fats cushion and protect all your internal organs.
- Immune System– Fats can aid in reducing inflammation so the immune system remains healthy and functions.
- The skin- daily fat consumption can help keep skin moist and prevent wrinkles.
- Sex and steroid hormones- are manufactured from fat.
- Metabolic hormones-fat will not trigger the release of insulin or counter-regulatory hormonal backlash like carbohydrates and therefore can also help give relief to over- worked organs like the pancreas or liver when large amounts of carbs are consumed.
- Satiety-fats keep you full longer by providing a constant level of energy, no need to be hungry.
- Fat soluble vitamins (A,D,E,K)- absorption cannot happen or may be limited without fat:
- Vitamin A keeps your eyes and skin healthy
- Vitamin D works to strengthen the immune system, helps in muscle function and involved in strengthening bones
- Vitamin E neutralizes free radicals
- Vitamin K is involved in blood clotting
The health benefits are undeniable but you cannot ignore the fact that taste (reason #15) is another important reason to eat fat; sautéed veggies, a rib-eye steak, coconut or the taste of lobster dipped in real butter are reasons enough to eat fat. The other 14 health reasons mentioned above might just be considered an added bonus.
Why eat fat? Because it is healthy and tastes good, why else?