Your immune system is a system that works to protect you from things (parasites, bacteria, viruses, toxins…) that can make you sick. Seventy percent of the body’s immune system is found in the digestive tract. Consuming the right foods and supplements can help your immune system stay in fighting shape this season.
Make sure you get plenty of rest and incorporate these 5 food and supplement options into your daily routine. Your health is in your hands.
1. Probiotics and good gut health have been shown to have a direct link to good health. Keep up the amount of friendly bacteria to make sure you keep the unfriendly bacteria in its place. If you are unsure of how to choose a probiotic, this information will help, http://www.ehow.com/how_5022443_choose-probiotic.html. For you skeptics, there was a study that showed the probiotic strain Bacillus coagulans helped ward off the flu, http://www.postgradmed.com/index.php?art=pgm_03_2009?article=1971.
2. Omega-3 is a nutrient that has been shown to give your immune system a boost. Foods that have high amounts of omega-3 include: salmon, sardines, low-mercury tuna, mackerel, herring, swordfish, chia seeds, flaxseed, pumpkin seeds, cod liver and olive oil, walnuts and dried oregano
3. Minerals specific to help keeping you healthy are zinc and selenium. The best sources of zinc are fortified baby cereals, beef, dark meat turkey, oysters and beans. Egg yolks, Brazil nuts, cottage cheese, sunflower seeds, lamb chops, tuna, red snapper, shellfish, whole grains and vegetables contain lots of selenium.
4. Carotenoids (vitamin A) and vitamins C & E will also help you avoid being sick.Vitamins A and E are fat soluble and are better absorbed when consumed with fat such as avocado or olive oil.
Vitamin E: wheat germ, seeds, vegetable oils, and grains
Carotenoids: kale, sweet potato, chili powder, collard and dandelion greens, grape leaves, pumpkin and carrots, cantaloupe.
Vitamin C: peppers, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, chili peppers, cherries, strawberries, orange, grapefruit
5. Spices: Turmeric, (curry) and Garlic
5 quick nutrition tips that will help keep you healthy, think about it…