The next few months are filled with holiday parties, family gatherings and food galore. “30 Tactics To Maneuver Holiday Humps and Bumps” was created to help you survive the holiday season. The first 15 strategies, http://valerieberkowitz.wordpress.com/2014/10/20/30-tactics-to-maneuver-holiday-humps-and-bumps-part-1/, and the final 15 tactics should be exercised as needed on a daily basis starting now in order to avoid an avalanche of nutritional disaster during the holidays.
30 Tactics For Holiday Eating (16-30))
16. Stay well hydrated. Drink enough water and tea so your body has fluid on board to help metabolism and side track false hunger signals.
17. Identify and categorize foods into the “must-haves” or “have-nots”.
18. Maintain control, here are a few “how to” quick tips: valerieberkowitz.wordpress.com/2012/11/19/three-holiday-tips-to-maintain-control-of-your-goal/.
19. Stay away from negative people who sabotage your plan.
20. Do not sabotage yourself, make everyday count. No excuses. Yes, one-day off the nutrition plan does not mean much but too much of that excuse, or any excuse, gets you absolutely no where.
21. Follow your feelings. Do not eat as a result of feeling sad or emotionally drained, there will only be negative consequences as a result. Allow positive feelings like feelings of happiness, improved energy and controlled eating to guide your food choices.
22. Review previous eating or behavior strategies that worked, or did not work, in the past and analyze why you got that result. If your strategy last year was to eat before a party to avoid hunger and you did not achieve your goal change the strategy.
23. Make the changes in strategies (mentioned from #22) into habits you adopt forever.
24. Boast and brag all you want. Make sure you do something positive each day so that you can talk about how well you are doing. It will get you positive feedback and support from your friends. It will also help you reinforce all the hard work and positive results for yourself.
25. Watch the clock and set specific eating times when you will allow yourself to eat. Try taking what you want to eat and holding on to it for a few minutes before eating it or until the end of a specified eating time. Allow the hors d’oeuvres to pass 2-3 times before taking your next.
26. Chat up a storm. It is difficult to talk and eat at the same time.
27. If you think you might go for seconds take 1/2 your portion as firsts.
28. Food appearance is as important as anything else in the food eating decision-making process so pick different and colorful foods to make your plate look so good no one would pass it up.
29. Do not dodge your nutritionist. I get so many cancellations right before the holidays. This is when you need the most support!
30. The party goes on without you. Do not feel like you have to attend every party you are invited to. If the same people are going to the same parties, you won’t miss much if you skip a party or two.
I hope these points are helpful. If you have used full proof strategies to your advantage and think it may help someone else through this difficult season, please share. Happy holidays and my sincerest hopes that you will emerge victorious, no matter what your goal(s) is over the slippery holiday slope ahead.